Q: Does the dipstick tube just pull out of the block or are there retaining clips?

I was checking oil level after changing & dipstick tube (which is of really poor design) broke in half)...i'm a commercial electrician by trade & tube is S shaped which makes it REALLY difficult to pull in & out...like pulling wire thru pipe the more bends makes for more resistance. I've yanked on it pretty good and sprayed wd-40 & liquid wrench on it & it wont come out. I have the feeling i'm gonna have to drop the pan to remove it but dont want if i dont have too. Haynes manual doesnt give description of procedure & was'nt able to find much on internet about this except that im not tge only one to have had this problem

To answer your first question: yes, it does have a bracket on the oil dipstick tube but, if you remove the bracket, it will pull out. Your dipstick is going to have some curves in it; this is normal for most vehicles. However, it shouldn’t be hard to remove the dipstick.

If someone has tried making the tube more narrow or tried taking the curves out of it, you may be experiencing a problem with the actual dipstick. I will take you through a few steps to see if we can fix your problem.

If the top of the dipstick has a lever, pull up on it to ensure you are able to open it when it frees itself. Check for kinks in the tube: if there are kinks, you are just experiencing a problem with that.

Unbolt the bracket from the block (it is usually an 8mm or 10mm bolt) and pull it out. If it isn’t easy to pull out, then go under your car where you can easily get to the tube and push up on it. If it doesn’t come out as it should have, you will need to remove the oil pan. If you have to go this far, see if your dipstick it bent. If so, you have found your problem.

If you need to replace the dipstick, you need to get one that is specific to your vehicle. When reinstalling the bolt for the dipstick to the block (if it is a bolt and not a nut), make sure it goes in easily with your finger so it doesn’t strip. When you are inserting your dipstick, ensure you don’t force it. There is a way it is supposed to go in, and forcing it may damage something in your engine and/or the dipstick.

If you need some assistance, I recommend having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, help you remove the dipstick tube and determine if anything needs to be replaced.

3. Does the dipstick tube just pull out of the block or are there retaining clips?