Q: steering wheel won't unlock my key turns only to turn lights on but that's it can't unlock steering wheel to start the car what to

asked by on September 11, 2016

I went to the shop and got in my BMW but the steering wheel was locked I wiggle it and make sure it's in park and turn my key but the key only turns a little bit so the lights and radio turn on but that's it and it won't unlock the steering wheel so I can turn on the car what should I do because the steering wheel won't unlock so I can start my car and drive

The steering lock may not be unlocking either due to a faulty ignition lock housing or more commonly as the cars age a faulty spring at the steering wheel on the under side of the column. If the ignition lock housing is the issue the housing can be replaced. It s a bit tricky as the mounting bolt has break off heads and generally need to be driven out with a punch. If the lock is not disengaging because of a faulty spring on the ignition lock many owners have had the spring removed by having it drilled out of the housing. However, removing the spring may permanently disable the steering lock. The last option would be to replace the steering column. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic who can recommend the proper repair for your situation.