Q: What is wrong with my suspension/steering?

When I drive the car, and hit a bump on the front right, the bump noise is more significant than on the left front side (I believe this is a bad strut assembly?). Secondly, occasionally when I turn the car to the left, I also feel a sort of unexplainable "drifting" during the turn, this I am not at all sure about. Can you help explain? Is this "drift" feeling related to the poor strut assembly?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. If the struts on...

Hi, thanks for writing in. If the struts on the car are original, it would not be unreasonable to replace them outright simply because you have relatively high mileage on the car. While the struts are being replaced, all other interlinks should be tested (ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, etc.). It is likely that during such an examination the cause of the drift you refer to will be discovered. If you want a complete exam of the front end, and a repair plan and estimate, by all means contact YourMechanic and we will dispatch a professional. If you elect a local shop or other mechanic, make sure the mechanic is not only qualified but is actually interested in the work (that is, will do a quality job) and can completely and thoroughly explain to you what he has found in his examination of the car and what the work plan is. The mechanic should also be able to make an intelligent parts selection. The "repair" portion of the work is only half the problem: The other half of the problem is selecting parts that are appropriate and of high quality. Buying OEM parts of course solves that problem. I recommend having one of our certified automotive technicians from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect, diagnose, and repair the issue.