Q: Oil Gasket Leak

asked by on August 15, 2017

I went and got my oil changed last week and they told me that my oil gasket/sensor are leaking. The person helping me pushed that this was a repair that needed to be fixed ASAP. I know the oil is leaking a little - they lifted the car and showed me - but at this point it's not causing drops or puddles under my car or really affecting oil levels. My question for y'all is if this is a repair I would need to address before a long drive (moving from Texas to Utah, 1000+ miles). While at the shop they said yes definitely, so I've been stressing as it's not a cheap repair and I have major time constraints. When I asked someone else who knows cars, they said it wasn't that big of a deal and that it would need to be addressed eventually when it got worse, but not necessarily right now. Thoughts?

Without knowing what the leak is I would have to agree with the last diagnosis that it should be done ASAP. This is because most oil leaks can get worse over time and can cause the engine to get low on oil and cause engine damage if it is allowed to get too low on oil. Also oil leaks can get on other components and cause additional problems to these components.