Q: Can I change the oil from regular to synthetic safely?

Just wondering if it's OK to change oil over to synthetic. Should I use a blend the 1st time or just change it to straight synthetic??

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. Decades ago w...

Hello, thanks for writing in. Decades ago when synthetic oils were introduced, some older vehicles experienced oil leaks that were believed to be due to synthetic oils having smaller and more consistently sized molecules compared to conventional oil. It was believed that this made it easier for synthetic oils to leak past gaskets and seals. But that was decades ago. Engine sealing materials have changed and leaks caused by synthetic oils are a myth of the past.

Changing your oil to or from synthetic oil requires no special procedures. If you’d like to upgrade your oil, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to you home or office to service your oil.