Q: What does the "check fuel fill inlet" message mean I need to do when my vehicle has a capless Easy-Fuel system?

I have the "check fuel fill inlet" message, but I have the capless easy-fuel system on my Ford Escape. Does that mean I have a vacuum pressure leak somewhere? Or that I need to replace the canister purge solenoid?

Hello and thank you for your question. When the check fuel fill inlet message appears on the dash, then there is an evaporative leak that is occurring on or near the fuel filler inlet. Check the fuel filler inlet for any damage and see if the flap is sealing shut. Over time, the spring inside the neck that is attached to the flap will become weak and cause the flap to not seal. The fix to this is replacing the fuel filler inlet neck. For best results, get a universal sniffer tool and check around the fuel filler area and under the vehicle. Locate any areas that may have wet fuel deposits visible to see. If the fuel inlet is not leaking, then the canister purge solenoid could have a small leak and needs replaced. If you need assistance in finding the fuel vapor leak, then seek out a professional, preferably a Your Mechanic professional to help you with your vehicle.

• What does the "check fuel fill inlet" message mean I need to do when my vehicle has a capless Easy-Fuel system?