Q: Paint chipping all over, can I protect the paint?

The paint on my 2008 Honda CR-V is really not holding up well compared to some other cars I’ve owned. At just 70,000 miles, there are huge spots of paint and clear-coat missing from the front of the hood and the bumper. The paint on the front pillars is just starting to deteriorate as well. I haven’t changed my driving habits or my location. The paint just keeps coming off and now I am really worried about the value of my car. Is there any way to fix or at least slow the progress of the chipping paint?

A: The problems you are having with your paint...

The problems you are having with your paint on your CRV is not isolated to just your vehicle. There are other owners with less mileage on their CRV vehicles that are having similar issues. The paint used on automobiles is put on in multiple layers. First the metal is cleaned and then a rust preventive coating is applied. The next level is primer paint, which differs depending on the material it’s meant for. The primer is a special paint that is supposed to have a high adhesion to the material it covers and provide a good adhesion to the next color coat of paint. Finally the coat of your chosen color is covered in a clear coat to protect the color finish. The clear coat is subject to the outside elements and is there to protect the color coat. Even with proper maintenance of the top clear coat, it does wear, and once compromised, will need to be repaired promptly to avoid damage to the color coat. Now if any of the layers of paint are not applied correctly, through use of defective paint or not prepping before next coat was applied, it can cause premature failure.