Q: I went to Auto Zone to get the code on my check engine light, is it the same as going to an auto shop?

Check engine light is on, got a code of PO455, is that the same code I would get if I went an auto shop

Hi there. That is probably the same code you would receive from a repair facility. However, that does not provide a diagnosis. The code is only used as a direction for the diagnosis. The computer monitors operating parameters against a preset value range. When the operating condition falls outside this range a code is set. The computer does not know the what, how, or why; only that the operation is outside the specified parameters. This is where the knowledge and experience of a qualified technician with proper diagnostic tools becomes invaluable. There is nothing more expensive and risky than replacing parts without a proper diagnosis. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a check engine light inspection.

3. I went to Auto Zone to get the code on my check engine light, is it the same as going to an auto shop?