Q: Rpms running too high

The rpm is running very high, 2000+ in Park or Neutral. I am getting error codes bank 1 bank 2.

A: Hello. I suspect that the idle air control ...

Hello. I suspect that the idle air control valve is faulty. The idle air control valve is supposed to smoothly adjust the engine’s idle to the changing driver conditions, like stopping at a light. If it is malfunctioning, it can cause the idle to be to high or at worst cause the engine to shut off. Also, it is common that a vehicle will experience high idle due to carbon build up inside of the throttle body. This type of build up is normal and every vehicle will experience this at some point. I suggest that a technician clean the throttle body of any deposits and test the idle air control valve with a scan tool or multimeter. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose your high revving vehicle and repair any failing components.