Q: After i replace my whole fuel pump will that solve battery and security and oil light and. Check engine service light problem

asked by on March 12, 2017

battery and security and oil light and. Check engine service light came on. When my car died so im wondering after i replace my whole fuel pump will that solve the e battery and security and oil light and. Check engine service light from coming on

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If a faulty fuel pump caused the engine to abruptly stop, you might see a variety of warning lights. Once the engine is running again, the lights may go out but ONLY if the warning lights were related to the fuel pump failing. For example, if the oil pressure warning light was on while the engine was still running, it likely that that light will remain on even after installing a new fuel pump. Of course, if the oil pressure warning light does comes on, stop the engine immediately to avoid damage. Without downloading the diagnostic trouble codes that have caused the check engine light to come on, it is hard to say if the check engine light will turn off after the pump is replaced because the codes that have set (causing the light to come on) may pertain to the fuel pump but could pertain to other issues, as well. So, this cannot be answered without downloading those codes.

Of course, if your car is not running be sure that you very carefully diagnose the cause because you don’t want to end up needlessly replacing the fuel pump when indeed the actual problem lies elsewhere including perhaps just a bad electrical connection to the fuel pump if you are seeing no pump operation. Given what you are describing, I recommend that you request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will determine if you actually need a fuel pump and, as well, let you know why the warning lights are on and what repairs, if any, are needed. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.