Q: What name is given to the bearing after the wheel bearing on a 2006 Pontiac Torrent

I had the passenger side wheel bearing replaced and 8-9 months later I am hearing the sound like a train vibrating on the same side. What bearing is there after the wheel bearing? Is it a center bearing? 2006 Pontiac Torrent, FWD.

In your application, the passenger side CV axle does not use a carrier (center support) bearing. The noise you are describing could be due to failure of the same wheel bearing (not a rare occurrence, please read below), or the noise could be due to a tire defect, brake problem, or axle or transmission issue. If you request a diagnostic, the cause will be pinpointed. If it were to turn out that the noise is from the wheel bearing that you replaced 8-9 months ago, replacement bearings will fail if the axle nut is over tightened when the vehicle is re-assembled. Unfortunately, that is a common problem because people do not read the instructions in the Factory Service Manual. The nut that holds the CV axle to the hub can ONLY be tightened with a calibrated torque wrench and the nut has to be tightened only to exact value published in the Factory Service Manual. Shops and amateurs will sometimes use an air tool or an ordinary wrench, contrary to the explicit instructions, and the consequence is the axle nut is overtightened and the bearing is guaranteed to fail prematurely. The other common cause of premature bearing failure is the use of cheap aftermarket bearings (or hub assemblies). If you use the OEM (dealer supplied) bearing or a recognizable, reputable vendor such as SKF you will be better off. To get the bearing inspected, and replaced if failed, please request hub assembly inspection/replacement. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

• What name is given to the bearing after the wheel bearing on a 2006 Pontiac Torrent