Q: Brake light bulb sockets fried & melted

My van’s brake light bulbs burned out sooner than I thought they should. Approximately every three months I have to replaced all the bulbs for my brake lights. After doing this a few time, I noticed that the bulb sockets were beginning to look burned. Now all of the sockets in the rear of the van are completely fried, melted, and need to be replaced. Can you tell me what is causing these sockets to do this?

A: Hello there, when bulbs are required to be ...

Hello there, when bulbs are required to be replaced multiple times like this, there are a few common causes. The most likely would be moisture in the taillight, short-to-power, wiring damage, or a faulty taillight assembly. Generally this is seen with only one light at a time. With all burning out at once corrosion in the wiring or a short would be the most common cause to effect all bulbs. I recommend having a qualified technician diagnose your vehicle's brake light issue to determine what repairs should be made.