Q: Engine in my truck is running rough, maybe oil problem?

Recently I have started hearing a knock in the engine of my 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. The truck is only at 50,000 miles so I didn’t expect to hear the engine run rough so soon. The truck goes through a lot of oil, but it usually runs fine after it gets more put in it. I replaced the oil when the knock started but it only lessened it, the knock is still present. Is this a bigger problem with the engine or should I try switching the kind of oil I am using?

Your problems are a common complaint voiced by other owners. You will need to have your engine checked for possible lifters that have collapsed and could damage the cam shaft in the engine. Some owners have changed oil types to a different synthetic brand and this has helped alleviate the conditions but did not fix problem. I would recommend contacting YourMechanic to get the noise verified and diagnosed to prevent possible damage or major engine failure. You said you use a lot of oil and have run low on oil before. You should check for possible piston rings causing this. Diagnosing the noise should be your top priority, and once the issue is identified, make the decision to overhaul or replace the engine with a remanufactured one. Proper diagnostics are the key to prevent engine damage.

3. Engine in my truck is running rough, maybe oil problem?