I have a [bmw 325i](/topics-bmw-325i/) with a baiid unit....

I have a [bmw 325i](/topics-bmw-325i/) with a baiid unit. It drained the battery. I have jumpbox to charge. The company I have for the baiid has to do a hard reset so I have to disconnect the negative cable from the battery. my qu...

I have a [bmw 325i](/topics-bmw-325i/) with a baiid unit. It drained the battery. I have jumpbox to charge. The company I have for the baiid has to do a hard reset so I have to disconnect the negative cable from the battery. my question is, is can I safely reconnect the negative cable to the battery safety with the car running. I will be charging the car with the jumpbox on the emergency cables under the hood. battery is in the trunk Mechanic's Assistant: What exactly is happening to the trunk? The battery is in the trunk and I was told by intoxalock I need to disconnect the negative cable so they can do a hard reset. can I safely reconnect the negative cable with the car running as I have to charge up the battery Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your BMW 325I? 2004 Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your BMW 325I yourself? What have you tried so far? I am. I'm the only the can breathe in baiid Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? I charged but then I couldn't use the baiid kept getting errors because the battery was low that's y the intoxalock people have to reset it

Automotive Expert
Hello and welcome

Hello
Automotive Expert
No, it is not safe to do this. Charge the battery and then separately unhook it if you need to

I shouldn't connect the negative cable when the car is running
Automotive Expert
Correct

Can the battery still charge with that cable disconnected after I take off the charger
Automotive Expert
No it can’t

I want to give it enough time to change before I shut the car to reconnect
Automotive Expert
As I said, charge it and then once complete disconnect it

Ok, I'll try to get ahold someone from intoxalock before I start charging because the baiid is draining. I'll get a call back number so they can do reset as soon as its charged. Then I can shut off car and reconnect then start the car up again hopefully
Automotive Expert
Good luck with your vehicle

Thank you. Thank you for your help
Automotive Expert
You are welcome