Q: My mechanic said I needed an alternator. He fixed the starter now My car is making this loud knocking noise, what could it be?

There is a loud knocking noise on the driver's side under the hood when the car is turned on and when the gas pedal is pushed upon acceleration.

Hi there. I believe we answered your question earlier, but if the mechanic is telling you that you need an alternator, it’s possible the noise and the power issue is related. The alternator, like many other accessory systems is powered by a serpentine belt. The belt is driven by a series of pulley’s. and when they wear out, a ticking noise is one of the most common symptoms. Again, without being there to complete an inspection, any repair suggestions would be guesses on our part and not very responsible on our behalf. I really believe it is best for you to seek a second opinion by having one of our mobile mechanics complete the car is making a noise inspection. You can click this link to set up the service if you’d like.

3. My mechanic said I needed an alternator. He fixed the starter now My car is making this loud knocking noise, what could it be?