Q: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix short grinding noise

For the last 4 years I have noticed a grinding noise when I put my car from park to drive. After I start my car and put it into drive and start to go I hear a grinding noise for a few seconds then it goes away. It sounds like when you move a chair on a tile/laminated floor. It doesn’t matter if I go straight or make a turn. It only happens after I start my car and start to move. I don’t think it’s my starter because I do not have any issues with starting my car and because this noise issue has been going on for a while. The noise sounds like it is coming from in front of me (the driver’s side). No mechanic has been able to figure this out.

Many vehicles with ABS brakes have a self test system when the vehicle first begins to move. This causes the valves inside of the ABS hydraulic control unit to move up and down very rapidly. It is possible that you are hearing this if your vehicle is equipped with an ABS brake system.

3. 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix short grinding noise