Q: 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT security light on constantly and the car will only start after battery is run down and jumped.

asked by on August 09, 2017

Pontiac Grand Am GT. The car overheated and the security light and change oil lights came on. Once the car cooled down and coolant was added the security light was on constantly. After attempting the hard reset the car will not start. Ignition cylinder was replaced and security system reset was attempted but the car still would not start. After trying the reset again the battery died and had to be jumped. With battery cables connected the car started and would restart for a few hours but the security light on the dash stayed on solid. After sitting overnight the car would not start again. I let the battery drain again and started the car by jumping it. After sitting a few hours the car would not start again with the battery charged. I tried starting the car with battery cables connected and would not start. Bottom line is the car only starts after the battery is drained and requires to be jumpstarted. With a fully charged battery the car will not start.

Hello, thank you for writing in. You should start by scanning the vehicle for diagnostic codes to see what the security light is trying to tell you. Do this after you can get it to start and can take it somewhere to have it scanned. Use any codes and their information to help you determine what is wrong and guide you through further testing. If your battery is draining, there is chance your security system is the cause of that drain. If you let the car sit, the battery is depleted and wont start the car. Once it is jumped, the car is able to start. Only further testing will tell. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.