Q: Jeep hesitating and then taking off

asked by on February 17, 2016

I believe I might have a problem with the fuel filter. When I put my jeep into gear, at first it doesn't want to go, and then all of a sudden it takes off.

From the information provided on your Jeep Liberty, it leads me to believe that the problem may actually lie with the transmission and not with the fuel filter. After shifting into gear, if there is a delay in the engagement of the gear selected, then the problem is with the gear selector, low and/or dirty transmission fluid or perhaps the problem could be found internally in the transmission. A dirty or clogged fuel filter will allow the vehicle to run rough, poorly while idling, and hesitate or even stall out when accelerating. To be 100% certain, it may be time to enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic to go over your Jeep with you. They will be able to diagnose your Jeep and determine why you are experiencing hesitation with your car. Once the source of the problem is identified, they will be able to assist you in making the repairs necessary to get your Jeep running smooth again.