Q: Do valve covers bend

I did a gasket change on the valve covers and the mechanic was telling me that the covers were not even. He put a ruler in one of the sides, and it wasn't flat the entire way. This makes me wonder if he was an experienced BMW car repairman or not. Is it possible for the valve covers to bend - not the gaskets but the actual covers? I need some help please.

Hello, thanks for writing in about your BMW 750i. I have worked on automobiles for many years and replaced many valve cover gaskets, and have never heard of someone using a ruler for anything related to that repair. However, it is possible for valve covers to warp causing oil leaks even with brand new gaskets.

If the BMW technician was using the ruler as simply a straight edge to show you that there is some warpage to your valve cover, this would make sense, because if the valve cover is not totally flat on the side that the gasket is installed, it will most likely not seal properly and cause a leak.

I would recommend having the valve covers replaced as well with new gaskets, and this should resolve the issue you are currently having. If you want to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the car and ensure the correct repairs are made.

3. Do valve covers bend