Q: Car overheated and then shut down

My coolant is leaking rapidly. The coolant temperature light and oil light flashed on the dash before the car shut down immediately after.

Hello. Though there are many places that coolant can leak on this vehicle. The most common cause of a fast leak is a failing water pump or a crack in the radiator. I have also seen a lot of coolant leaks in the thermostat housing, or near the oil cooler housing. I would typically do a pressure test on the system with a pressure tester to find the leak. The main issue is that none of these leaks will cause the engine to shut down unless the engine overheated. If this occurred then you may have a failure in the head gasket which will require some serious engine work. This can be verified with a block test. You may want to enlist the help of a certified mechanic that has the experience to run these tests, and determine what has caused your coolant leak issue.

3. Car overheated and then shut down