Q: Gearshift stuck

asked by on February 23, 2016

My gear will not move out of park.

Car does not shift from park to drive Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Your vehicle is equipped with a shift interlock. This is a safety device that keeps the car from going into gear without you stepping on the brake. If the switch on the brake pedal fails, or the solenoid itself fails, the shifter will not come out of gear. Solenoid failure is common due to debris filtering themselves through the center console and into its location. If you need assistance, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose why your vehicle will not shift out of park.