Q: When the gas is pressed, the RPM increases, can't accelerate

asked by on May 24, 2016

Hi, I'm having issues with the acceleration on my car that I don't know how to fix. The RPM increases when I give it gas at 15 mph, but there is no acceleration. I have to give it even more gas or press the pedal to the limit so as to make it run faster. It would then start jumping. The EGR valve is changed on the car. Do you have any idea what could becausing this?

Car is slow to accelerate Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

From what you are describing with the RPMs going high and the vehicle not moving, it sounds like you have a transmission that is not shifting or is slipping. There is a technical bulletin that may stop the flare and requires reprograming to the engine computer. The dealer would have to do this for you. The transmission may still have issues but the reprogram should be done first. If you want this looked at in person before going through a dealer, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your acceleration issue.