Q: I have a wobble on the pulley and an oil leak, is it going to need a main bearing?

asked by on November 12, 2016

My truck is leaking oil from bearing seal and crankshaft pulley has a wobble,but has no knocking or sound omitting from it. How can you tell if it's the front pulley or main bearing that's bad?

Hi there. The two symptoms you’re describing (the front oil leak and the crankshaft pulley wobble) are two of the best indicators that a professional mechanic should use to diagnose that the issue is the pulley or the seal behind the pulley. Usually, if the main bearing is damaged, it will cause serious engine acceleration issues or won’t start at all. The best way to know for sure is to remove and replace the front crankshaft seal.