Q: Problems starting car

I have been having problems starting my car. My key has resistors on it, and when I try to start it my security light comes on. It doesn't happen all the time.

A: Hello. It sounds like the key or the igniti...

Hello. It sounds like the key or the ignition switch could be having contact issues. There are contacts inside the ignition switch. To eliminate a worn key resistor, try another key and see if you have the same result. If you don't have a spare key, you may want to get one cut with the right resistor and see if that fixes the problem. If the problem goes away or happens less frequently, the contacts in the key tumbler could also be worn. To get the key tumbler repaired you may have to go to the dealer or a locksmith if you wish to keep the same key. If the problem persists you may need the aid of a mechanic to inspect your car starting issue.