Q: My car cranks but won't start. I can hear it trying to start and then there is a single thump noise.

My car will crank but not start. I can hear it trying to start and then there is a single loud thump from under the hood. I drove the car okay last night but it wouldn't start this afternoon. Also, I didnt drive the car over the new years weekend. After sitting for three days i did have a hard time starting it but it started after I stepped on the gas a few times. If I run errands, the car seems hesitant to start if it sits for less than half an hour but it had been starting until today. The battery is working (radio and lights work) and I have a 3/4 tank of gas.

There are many causes of hard starting but illustrative ones are a faulty engine coolant temperature switch (sensor), worn spark plugs, inadequate fuel delivery or pressure (e.g., clogged fuel filter), dirty fuel injectors, contaminated or old gasoline, malfunctioning idle air control valve, poor engine compression, and so forth. You can identify the specific cause of the issue that you are writing in about by requesting a hard starting diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My car cranks but won't start. I can hear it trying to start and then there is a single thump noise.