Q: My car won't start but the lights come, and their is a humming noise when I turn the ignition. It's a 1996 Honda accord vs

asked by on November 20, 2017

It won't start, thier is a humming noise when I turn the ignition and the lights come on. It run yesterday. It passed emissions in june.

Hi Diavon. Thanks for sending in your question. If you turn the key and it’s making a buzzing or clicking sound, then there are usually two reasons why. First, the battery most likely does not have enough cranking AMPs to engage the starter. Although it might have enough "juice" to power the lights, AMPS are needed to start the car. The solution here is to replace the battery. If this is not the source of the problem, then the other is that an electrical relay (the ignition or starter relay) or the starter itself is damaged). To save money on repairs and to ensure it gets fixed correctly the first time, you might want to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection. This will allow them to diagnose these problems and find the root issue.