Q: My car's engine is overheating, what could be the cause?

asked by on November 08, 2016

engine is running hot, already installed new thermostat. Not sure what is causing it

when in reverse the car gets stuck or its hard backing up.

Hi there. For your car this is the first sign of transmission failure. When the car starts having issues going in reverse, either it has burnt out internal clutches, or the gear housing is cracked and binding. Either way, you...

Battery Light and Low Fuel Light on with no power

This is a common issue among this generation of the Chevy Trailblazer and is generally the result of one of two things. A weak battery can easily cause this to happen. There is also a known problem with the...

Water pump

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Usually a stock water pump on a Toyota RAV4 should last much longer than 35,000 miles. However, there are times when the water pump can fail prematurely for multiple reasons. Since you have a...

Loud buzzing noise when turning

A loud buzzing noise while driving that changes during a left or right turn can point towards a faulty suspension component like a wheel bearing. The bearing will make most of its noise under load so when the load changes....

Leaking from radiator drain plug petcock.

Hello. The only other solution you may have is to remove the petcock and install a bolt in its place with sealant. I do not recommend doing this though as it is not a permanent fix. If you want to...

Intermittent failure to start.

Check the starting of the vehicle in park and in neutral. If the vehicle starts all the time in neutral, then the neutral safety switch needs replaced. If the engine does not start every time on whether the transmission is...

Thermostat has gone bad

It is possible that your thermostat could be causing this issue. It is also possible that a bad coolant temperature sensor is sending false information to the computer. I would ask for help from one of the mechanics at YourMechanic...

Oil temperature hotter and hotter

You could have your Porche 911's engine cleaned to make sure all the air passages for cooling the engine are cleaned out. Doing a fresh oil change with the proper weight oil in synthetic may help with the temperature. But...

Car potentially vapor locking, not starting.

Hello, I would doubt that you have a vapor lock problem. A vapor lock problem usually only occurs when temperatures get hot enough to make the fuel near the pump vaporize. This is not your problem because the car is...