Q: Car won't start, can't be jump-started. 2008 BMW 535xi

I cannot start the car at all. I think that the battery is not the cause as all electrical components in the car are working properly. Both the outside and inside lights work. I tried to jump the car but it's unresponsive. The issue occurred out of the blue and I've never had any problems before. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2008 BMW 535xi. A no crank, no start condition indicates a problem with the starting system. This could be the starter itself or the starting circuit. In your vehicle, power to the starter is directly controlled by the car access system module. This module decides when to activate the starter based on inputs from the transmission module (clutch module of you have a manual), start button and different parts of the anti-theft system. If power is not getting to the starter, it’s likely because the module is not receiving a proper signal from one of these items. If you’d like to have this checked, I recommend you have a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the starting problem firsthand and perform the correct repairs.