Q: Oil Light came on and car stopped

asked by on February 21, 2016

The Oil Light came on in my truck, and then the car stopped. I possibly need my engine rebuilt.

Unfortunately, if the Oil Light did come on, it is possible that the engine oil was low, and the engine was oil-starved. The oil should be drained in a clean pan, and examined to see if there are metal particles in it; this would indicate whether there is internal damage. The engine should be rotated by hand, and compression/leakdown-tested to inspect the mechanical condition of the engine, and determine whether a rebuild, or replacement, would be best. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, to address your Oil Light illumination for a proper diagnosis, and to determine the proper course of repair.