Q: How Do I Clean My Car Mirrors?

How do I clean my car's mirrors?

Cleaning your mirrors, or any glass for that matter, can be done with good results or poor results. There are some basic things to remember when cleaning your mirrors. This works for your windows too.

First of all, do this in a shaded area so that the glass is cool. Trying to clean hot glass leaves a spotty finish, which you do not want.

Secondly, use a good quality glass cleaner with a lint-free cloth. Do not use a degreaser or other multipurpose cleaner. You’ll end up with a cleaner residue smears all over the glass. If you have greasy, grimy residue, bird droppings, bug guts, or whatever on your glass, you’ll want to get rid of that first before you begin.

The lint-free cloth is soft enough to clean your mirrors without scratching the glass. Don’t use bath towels, wash cloths, or paper towels. They will definitely scratch your glass.

Thirdly, spray the glass cleaner on the cloth, not directly on the mirrors. This prevents the cleaner from dripping off of the mirror onto something that you don’t want to get wet. Wipe your mirrors gently in circles, don’t wipe back and forth. Any dirt on your mirrors can scratch in the glass if you rub vigorously in a side-to-side motion. Remember: soft, gentle circles.

Good visibility is crucial when operating a vehicle. Keeping your mirrors and windows clean and clear will help ensure that you have a good "outlook" on your surroundings. Should you run into any issues with your mirrors, consider contacting a certified mechanic, they will be able to replace any broken rearview or door mirrors at your own convenience.

3. How Do I Clean My Car Mirrors?