Huge coolant leak in 2003 Ford Focus first overheated, te...

Q: Huge coolant leak in 2003 Ford Focus first overheated, temporary repair is now smoking with a huge new leak

I just bought this car. Bf is a mechanic and he inspected. Was in good condition, seller told me it had a small coolant leak that had to refill every 2 months, said it wasn't bad. Ran fine for more than 200+ miles. A day later it randomly overheats, engine temp all the way in red. Boyfriend checked it, had no coolant in the reservoir. Put more in, all of it leaked out through a hole in the hose that he thinks goes to the heater/core. Called the tow truck. The guy suggested we cut and clamp it for a long term temporary fix. He did it for us and we refilled it with coolant. Car did not overheat, drove smoothly for 35+ miles after. Noticed some bad smell that went away couple of times. Today I noticed smoke in my rear view mirror,presumably from exhaust with a bad smell. didn't think anything of it, assumed it may be from cold temperature. Get to school. No overheat warning, engine is at half like it should. Tons of smelly white smoke. Look at car later, HUGE leak by thermostat(?)

If you have overheated the engine due to loss of coolant from a leak you may have blown the head gasket and need major engine work. Recommend getting the systems checked to see if the engine is damaged and need head gasket or other work.