Q: What does the vehicle dynamic control system do?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What does the vehicle dynamic control system do?

Your car is equipped with a vehicle dynamic control (VDC) system. It’s designed to monitor the driving conditions and your input (brake use, steering wheel use, etc.) and to step in if necessary. Here’s what it does:

1. The VDC system can control some aspects of the brakes to help prevent wheels from slipping.

2. The VDC system can help prevent the car’s drive wheel from slipping.

3. The system can control brake pressure to correct understeer or oversteer (in certain situations).

Tips

• While the VDC system is designed to help you maintain control of the car, it doesn’t take over for you. It will not prevent you from losing control of the vehicle in some instances. Careful driving is the only solution.

• If you see the VDC light on in the dash, it means the system is active. It may come on and go out multiple times.

• If the VDC light is on in the dash, it means that the driving conditions are poor (slippery, wet, dangerous, etc.).