Q: My car keeps stalling in the rain and causing battery to die or go low. Bad distributor causing a short?

Lately I have been driving my 1999 Ford Escort with 113,000 miles and have noticed that in rain the lights on the dash will start to dim and eventually when I get to a stop like a red light or stop sign my car will stall. It will just all of a sudden without notice stall. No weird smell, no weird feelings, nothing it will just turn off. The car won't start again until it dries up if the battery didn't get low enough. When I go to start it again (if the battery didn't die) it starts right up with no problems. When it's not raining the car runs just fine and can be driven for hundreds of miles with no issue. I tested my alternator at 3 different places and they all said it tested good. My battery is about a week old and it's not defective cause it was tested when I bought it. What do I do?

Hi there. In most cases, a gradual power drain like you’ve described is commonly due to an electrical short in the charging system. Although the alternator itself might test good, there are several wires and connectors that could be damaged, loose or corroded. I would recommend having a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an electrical problems inspection, which will allow them to pinpoint the root source of this issue and recommend the right repairs.

3. My car keeps stalling in the rain and causing battery to die or go low. Bad distributor causing a short?