Q: Will a bad crankshaft position sensor cause my car to turn off while at a stop light?

asked by on March 04, 2017

My car shut off on me at a stoplight, although it turned on it wouldn't go pass 20 for a little bit. I'm wondering if this could be related to the crankshaft position sensor??

Hi there. The issue could be one of the following.

Check

• The fuel pressure could be low or dropping when the engine is stalling out - possible fuel pump failure
  • The crankshaft position sensor could be shorting out or loosing connectability to the computer
  • The Idle Air Control Solenoid could be dirty or damaged causing the engine idle to drop at a stop

If you need further assistance with your engine stalling, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.