Q: Transmission not shifting into gear.

The transmission will not shift into gear. I looked under the hood while someone else attempted to put the car into gear, and noticed that the shifter cable did not move at all.

From the sound of your description, I would say your assumption of the problem with your Chevrolet Cavalier is correct! This sounds like you are indeed experiencing a broken shifter cable. Broken shifter cables fail due to years of use. Eventually the lubrication dries out and the shifter cable begins to rub against its own insulation. Over time this weakens the cable and eventually cause it to break. Replacing the shifter cable is a fairly quick repair that is best left to a certified mechanic to help ensure you and your Cavalier are back on the road soon.