Q: My car has been diagnosed with a misfiring cylinder 4. Will it be safe for me to drive it home 100 miles ?

I brought a mini one 4 weeks ago and I'm visiting my parents 100 miles from home and the engine issue light came on so I took it to a local garage and they diagnosed a misfire on cylinder 4 , the man I've brought it off has told me to drive it home so he can fix the problem and not get it done at the local garage but is it safe to drive 100 miles home for him to do it

From the description you have provided, it is advisable to have your vehicle’s #4 cylinder misfire fixed before taking the 100-mile trip home. Depending on the cause of the misfire, consequential damage could occur to the cylinder wall, piston, and/or catalytic converter.

If fuel continues to be delivered without the spark, the cylinder wall could be washed of oil (increasing piston and cylinder wall wear), and excess fuel could be present in the catalytic converter (substrate could melt down). If the cause of the misfire is valve train related, additional cylinder head damage could occur.

The misfire could be due to a faulty spark plug, a faulty ignition coil, or a faulty fuel injector.

There are other things, that could also cause the misfire. It is recommended that you get a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect your vehicle and determine the cause of the cylinder misfire.

• My car has been diagnosed with a misfiring cylinder 4. Will it be safe for me to drive it home 100 miles ?