Q: My heater blows out warm air instead of hot air when my temperature dial is turned as hot as it can go.

I just checked and my coolant is low. So my question is more so, could low coolant cause my heater to not function properly or could there possibly be an issue with my thermostat? I think it may be my thermostat because I noticed a month and a half ago, or so, my air conditioner wasn't getting very cold blowing out cool not cold air and now my heater is blowing out warm not hot air.

Thank you!

A: Hello there, warm air coming from the vents...

Hello there, warm air coming from the vents on your 2001 Ford Taurus will be caused by a variety of issues. The heating system for your vehicle and the air conditioning system are completely separate and likely unrelated. A low coolant level in your vehicle will cause the heat to be unable to function properly and is the most likely culprit for the air being warm and not hot.

If the coolant is very low it likely means a leak is present in the vehicle. A few common leaks spots are the water pump, thermostat housing, radiator, radiator hoses, heater hose, or the heater core itself.

If you'd like to get this resolved, a qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your heating issues and make any repairs required to restore proper operation.