Q: Dying when idling too long and whining noise while revving

Car felt like it was running rough while idling. Yesterday it died on me while sitting at a light. That has happened 3 more times. I hear a whining noise that gets a higher pitch when I rev the engine. What am I most likely looking at? No problem starting or restarting.

A: Hey there. In many cases, whistling or whin...

Hey there. In many cases, whistling or whining noises can come from the belt drive system or a vacuum leak under the hood. Is your vehicle maintenance and tune-up schedule up to date? You may want to check the idle air control system and check for vacuum leaks under the hood. If those are good, have the technician check fuel pressure. If the Check Engine Light is on, an experienced technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to pull any fault codes from the vehicles computer as a starting point to the diagnostics. If you would like to have this all scoped out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the stalling issue and follow through with repairs.