Q: Slippery road light on dash

asked by on December 28, 2016

Hi. On a road after a day of snow as I was driving the light came on when I was trying to break to do a right turn. I almost lost control. Dose that mean something is broken or is it just because I had a little bit of speed and if I driver slower there won't be a problem?very scary experience and I like to avoid it as much as I can. By the way I didn't have winter tires. Thank you.

Hello There, This light is your traction control light illuminating after detecting slippery conditions on the road. The traction control system monitors the steering stability of the vehicle and engages when loss of traction has been detected. This is done by the use of electronic sensors that communicate with the Power Train Control Module (PCM) regarding steering performance and stability in adverse weather conditions. The traction control system works by reducing engine speed and determining which wheel to apply brake pressure to in order to prevent the vehicle from sliding. The anti-lock braking system and the traction control system work together to maintain the stability of the vehicle. The computer uses this information received from electronic sensors regarding the rotational speed of each wheel, the horizontal motion of the vehicle, and the vertical motion of the vehicle to determine how to direct the traction control system or the anti-lock braking system to best control the vehicle when needed. When this warning indicator light comes on in the dashboard in slippery conditions, it is doing its job correctly and should not be anything to worry about. If this light continues to stay on for an extended period of time even when in normal driving conditions, it may be time to have it looked at.