Q: My 2007 Buick Rendezvous' Transmission Shift Lever is stuck in R for reverse.

asked by on August 24, 2017

When I insert my key in the ignition, the transmission display panel show R. I believe my transmission shift lever is stuck in reverse. I can't move the transmission shift lever to P or N to start the vehicle. I tried jumping the battery with no results. The battery seems fine as the accessories all work. What can I do to get out of reverse and into park so I can start my car?

Hi Gerry. Quite often, the main reason why the gear shifter will become stuck in reverse is due to one of three things. First, the brake switch might be stuck or damaged. Second, the ignition key cylinder itself might be damaged or third - the shift linkage is stuck. It’s hard to pinpoint the exact source of this type of problem without completing a car is hard to shift inspection, so you might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location to help you here.