Q: Engine died and will only run for a few seconds

asked by on June 24, 2016

While turning into a turn lane (after driving around 10 miles), the engine died. After trying to restart it, the engine would only run a few seconds before quitting. The gas tank is about ½ full. Going up small hills has also been a problem lately. When doing so, the engine would sometimes almost stall and the steering would lock. As mentioned above, the engine dies very quickly after it fires up. All the electronics have been working well and the battery is only a few months old. Do you think the fuel lines should be cleaned or the fuel pump be replaced… or what else do you think the problem might be?

Hi there! To determine if the fuel lines are clogged I would suggest performing a fuel pressure test. This test will tell you the engine is receiving the proper amount of fuel. If it is not, you should first check to see if the fuel pump is engaging.

If your fuel pump is not engaging you may have a bad fuel pump or a fault in the fuel pump’s electrical circuit. If your fuel pump is engaging yet you are not receiving fuel it is quite possible that you have a clogged fuel filter or line.

A technician will be able to perform this fuel pressure test for you and inform you of the necessary repairs. Another likely cause of the issue is a faulty or dirty mass airflow sensor. If the mass airflow sensor is sending incorrect greetings a condition such as yours could occur. I recommend to test and cleaning the mass airflow sensor to see if that is the culprit.

I’d recommend getting some help from a certified technician who can diagnose your starting problems and make the necessary repairs. Since the vehicle will not run for a long you may benefit a mobile mechanic service such as YourMechanic to save you the price of a tow.