Q: Shifting problem? 1998 Mercury Villager

Just bought this car 5 days ago and it drove very well. This morning I was taking my son to school and after I let the car warm up I shift to drive and it wouldn't go. It would only Rev and jump but wouldn't do. So I checked the reverse and it worked so input it in the 2 gear and it went. So I drove it in the 2 gear just to 5 a ke my son to school. What could be the problem? Already checked transmission fluid it was good.

Hi There, This may be related to a faulty transmission control solenoid. since automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears, every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Hi there - you may have a failed Forward Clutch causing this behavior. There may also be problems with one or more solenoids failing to route hydraulic pressure for the Forward Clutch. I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Shifting problem? 1998 Mercury Villager