Q: What does it mean if the Battery Light comes on in the dash?

What does it mean if the Battery Light comes on in the dash?

A: Your car’s dash is “information central” fo...

Your car’s dash is “information central” for everything you need to know about the vehicle. If you see the Battery Light turn on (also called the Charging System light), it means that the battery is not being charged. This might be for a number of reasons:

• The key is set to on, but the engine is not cranked.
  • The battery isn’t being charged by the alternator.
  • Another problem with the charging system

Tip

If you see the Battery Light come on while you’re driving, it means there’s a serious problem with the electrical system and you need to have your car inspected immediately. Drive with caution as you may be running only on battery power, and that doesn’t last long.