Q: Clunk sound when I set on reverse and when I let go of gas pedal. Rattle noise has been increasing over bumps.

asked by on February 27, 2017

When in parking position and set to reverse it makes a clunk sound. As I reverse and set to Drive clunks again. While driving if I let go of gas pedal speed starts decreasing and when its about to reach 20mph it makes same clunk sound. Also if traffic is heavy and I accelerate and decelerate between 10mph and 20mps clunk noise is there too. Lots of noise and thumps are heard when going over small potholes and bumps. When braking I hear a squeak, very different from when pads are running low usually hear it early morning and when I don't drive it for more than 2 days. Squeak is also there after I let go of brake and when I accelerate. After driving it for minutes it goes away. That squeak is also present when I turn left or right. The squeak sounds like if something is being forcefully pulled.

Hi there. Sounds like one or both CV Shafts are loose and are moving when you put the transmission in gear. Plus the squeaking noise is from the disk brakes system on the front as they are being forced to engage but not disengage. There could be excessive brake dust on the front keeping the calipers from sliding properly. Check the front of the vehicle for the CV Shafts being loose and if there is anything that looks damaged. If your suspension and CV Shafts are in good condition, then I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission.