Q: What do I do if the coolant reservoir is completely empty?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What do I do if the coolant reservoir is completely empty?

The coolant reservoir on your Accord is connected to the radiator, and allows coolant to flow back and forth between the two as it heats and cools. If the coolant reservoir is completely empty, you can’t just refill it. You need to check the level of coolant in the radiator as well. Here’s how to do that:

1. Wait until the radiator has cooled. Opening it hot can cause serious burns (very hot coolant can spray out).

2. Turn the radiator cap counterclockwise, but don’t press down on it. This will release any built up pressure.

3. Push down and turn counterclockwise on the cap.

4. Remove the cap and check the level of coolant in the radiator. It should be no lower than the bottom of the radiator neck.

5. If the coolant is low, top it off. Add fresh coolant slowly and clean up spills immediately.

6. Replace the radiator cap.

7. Top off the coolant reservoir.

Tip

If both the radiator and reservoir are low on coolant, it could signal a leak somewhere in the system.