Q: Hi my name is James my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee is making a whining noise when I first accelerate the gas only when I push down bu

Hi my name is James when I put my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee in gear and accelerate kind of fast or medium I get a whining sound and then my transfer case starts to shake only for a couple of seconds then it drives perfectly fine second question when I come to a complete halt in my foot is on the brake then I Let Go it makes a clunk sound like it's stuck and then it goes fine but that is a separate question I believe from the first it's almost like it's caught and then when I push the gas it will break free not all the time

Hello James, there are a several things that can cause the symptoms you first describe. A few things I would examine are the fluid level of the transfer case and transmission, and any of the driveline joints. Low fluid level in the transmission or transfer case can cause the whirring and whining sounds to come from the transmission from a lack of lubrication. The momentary vibration you describe can be caused by play or looseness in any of the driveline joints or bushings, such as the U-joints. Both of those symptoms can also be caused by problems with the teeth or gears inside of the transmission and transfer case, so I would first check to see that those things are okay, and then move from there.

The second set of symptoms you describe can also be caused by driveline issues, however brake and suspension issues can also produce similar symptoms. Any sort of wear or play with any of the driveline shafts, either at the U-joints or mounting bushings, can cause a clunk to occur when movement through the driveline first occurs, such as when taking off from a stop. This can also be caused by severely worn brakes or suspension bushings, as well as problems with the transmission.

If all the driveline joints and bushings appear to in proper condition, I would then recommend having the vehicle inspected by a professional technician as these sorts of symptoms can sometimes be difficult to diagnose due to the complexity of modern automatic transmissions. A certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can provide this inspection at your home or office.

3. Hi my name is James my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee is making a whining noise when I first accelerate the gas only when I push down bu