Q: Q: Charging system warning light.

I have a 2011 chevy cruze LS and I've been have a battery charging system warning light come on and when it comes on the battery light come on on the dash bord and like a fue minutos later it says battery saver active and when i check the volt it on 11.8 what could be the problem this happens when im driving i don't think that is the battery because i got a new one on it what could be the problem???

This may be a sign of a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator.

When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. A common sign of this is usually the acid inside the battery boiling causing the battery to swell. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system.

3. Q: Charging system warning light.