Q: Safety belt and airbag warning lights on - 2010 BMW 538xi

The safety belt and airbag warning lights illuminated on the passenger’s side of my car. Plus, when no one is in the passenger’s seat the front passenger’s seat light does not come on. This is intermittent but has occurred many times. I am researching and studying about this problem. What is causing this and how do I fix it?

The SRS system should have faults read out but based on your description, the seat mat sensor in the passenger is most likely the cause. The seat occupancy sensor is used in both determining air bag deployment and seatbelt pyrotechnic firing logic so if the seat mat sensor is faulty both systems are affected. Fortunately, the seat mat sensor is part of the seat bottom fabric so it can be removed from the seat frame and replaced. However, this is a dealership only item. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic who will be able to interrogate the SRS system and repair the airbag warning light and seatbelt light correctly.

3. Safety belt and airbag warning lights on - 2010 BMW 538xi