Q: My 2004 Pontiac Montana won't start just clicks when I turn key but lights,radio still work & its a new battery. What could it be?

My van stopped & would not come back o but made a clicking noise. We jumped it and it started for a few minutes so we went and got a new battery yesterday and it worked fine until later today just makes a clicking noise again when I turn key. What could it be?

It sounds like you may have a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.

3. My 2004 Pontiac Montana won't start just clicks when I turn key but lights,radio still work & its a new battery. What could it be?