Q: Is my repair strategy is good?

My car power steering failed and currently, the steering wheel is very stiff. I found B2278 code only and when I searched it seems I need a new steering torque sensor. However, on ford forums, I found people solved the same issue by installing a used steering column assembly. If I buy a used assembly and if the sensor is part of it, I could try to install (DIY) the sensor. If it did not work out, I can hire a mechanic to install the lower half if the assembly column or even all of it. On forums, some tried to install only a new sensor 200$ and it was 50/50 fix the issue.
Others install a used column but have to change the keys ( I have 2 remote keys now and I do not want to lose them) Some others, installed the lower half of the assembly and it did work for them. The new assembly installing might cost 1500ish $ so I need to save on that. My question is: Because i found many used assemblies from 2010 to 2012 and they should be newer, Does 2010-2012 steering column assembly fits 2008 and does a used column contain the sensor as part of it

Before all, is my repair strategy is good?

The steering torque sensor is Ford part number CL8Z-3F818-A and it was used from model year 2008 to 2012. The best strategy is to buy a brand new sensor from Ford and install it in your existing column. Ford’s recommendation is to keep everything else as is and just install a new sensor. The Factory Service Manual (FSM) will be very helpful and there appear to be some updates on the installation so be sure to download the relevant TSB(s) on sensor installation. As you know, there is an air bag at the top of the column. The air must be disabled, per FSM instructions, before you work on or near the assembly. If the air bag happens to deploy while you are fixing this, it’s like a bomb going off and can kill you. Again in the circumstance you are describing you do not need a column and you will save nothing by buying a used column with a used sensor when what you really need is a brand new sensor. If you desire that this part be procured by YourMechanic and professionally installed under warranty simply request torque sensor replacement and a certified professional will get it done promptly.